|Shire of Towong|
|Population||6,223 (2021 census)|
|• Density||0.93228/km2 (2.4146/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||18 November 1994|
|Area||6,675 km2 (2,577.2 sq mi)|
|Website||Shire of Towong|
The Shire of Towong is a local government area in the Hume region of Victoria, Australia, located in the north-east part of the state. It covers an area of 6,675 square kilometres (2,577 sq mi) and in August 2021 had a population of 6,223.
It includes the towns of Corryong, Tallangatta, Cudgewa, Bethanga, Bellbridge, Walwa, Tintaldra and Towong. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Tallangatta and Shire of Upper Murray.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Towong Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Tallangatta, it also has a service centre located in Corryong. The Shire is named after an earlier shire, the Shire of Towong (1874–1920), which occupied the same region as the current LGA.
The council is composed of five councillors elected to represent an unsubdivided municipality.
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Tallangatta Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Tallangatta, and its service centre in Corryong.
Townships and localities
The 2021 census, the shire had a population of 6,223 up from 5,985 in the 2016 census
^ - Territory divided with another LGA
- List of localities (Victoria)
- List of places on the Victorian Heritage Register in the Shire of Towong
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (28 June 2022). "Towong (Local Government Area)". 2021 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 November 2023.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S87 of 1994: Order estg (Part 2) the Shire of Towong". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 18 November 1994). p. 3. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Towong Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Census | Australian Bureau of Statistics". www.abs.gov.au. 11 January 2023.
- Media related to Shire of Towong at Wikimedia Commons
- Towong Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps